Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tool #10

1 & 3. Discuss some of the free educational apps you reviewed. Discuss ways your students could use the iTouch or iPad and appropriate apps in your class.

1. Math Drills Lite: Is a great way for the students to practice their math facts. The technology aspect of it doesn't make it seem so redundant. Each question has fingers, blocks, or number lines to help you solve the problem. I think this would a be a great way to warm up for math.

2. USA Presidents: This would be a great social studies station. The students get to look at flashcards about the different presidents. They can learn facts about them and then answer questions about the fact cards. The cards remind me of baseball cards. I think the students would get excited to show each other the Presidential card they have on their screen.

3. Science Books: This would be a great addition to the classroom library. The students will be able to read science texts on an I-Touch. Science books are usually put aside because they are to "hard". I think by them being on the I-Touch the students will be more eager to read them. The books due appear to be for a higher reading level than where my students are, but I think the older grades could use them.

4. Space Images: This app would be a great way to get the students excited about their space unit. The app has a ton of great images from NASA of space. It includes pictures of the stars and planets.

Overall I think the I-Touches/I-Pads would be great for stations, previews, reviews, lessons, etc. They are just another way to make the students feel like they are "playing" instead of learning.


2. If you had an opportunity to play with one of the devices, briefly describe your experience. Was there a WOW moment?

This past year our library had I-Touches for the students to use. My WOW moment was just watching my first graders use the I-Touches. I just knew that my 1st graders were going to need a ton of help with the I-Touches. I foresaw myself getting a massive headache from trying to be the technology help for my students. Out of twelve students, I didn't have to help a single one of them! I was amazed at how easily they just took to them. A lot of them had never used them before, but could figure out what was needed to make something work. I was so proud of my kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment